The cooking process is considered to reduce the content of vitamins and nutrients in food ingredients. So that some foods are better consumed raw.
But not all foods can be consumed raw. Some foods, in fact, require the right cooking process to eliminate some of the toxins that exist before.
“Eating raw potatoes can cause bloating and undesirable gastrointestinal effects, because potatoes contain starch that is resistant even though it has been digested,” said Dr. Lisa Davis, chief nutrition officer at Terra’s Kitchen.
What’s more, if raw potatoes are stored too long in a warm or humid environment it can be a poison called solanine. If the potatoes appear to contain green spots, you should avoid eating them at all, because solanine can cause food poisoning.
2. Red beans
Red beans are one of the healthiest foods that can be dangerous if you eat them in the wrong way. Red beans contain a lot of protein, fiber, and antioxidants, but eating them raw can be dangerous for your stomach. Make sure you boil the beans for at least ten minutes before eating them.
“Raw red beans contain phytohemagglutinin toxin, which can cause digestive discomfort and symptoms similar to food poisoning,” said Dr. Davis.
3. Raw milk
You may often hear the terms raw milk or raw milk that is not pasteurized. But actually it is dangerous. Milk originating directly from cattle and not pasteurized can contain harmful bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella. According to the United States Department of Health, raw milk is 150 times more likely to cause food poisoning than other dairy products.
4. Bean sprouts
Bean sprouts are one of the vegetables that are good for your body. But bean sprouts can contain harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria because bean sprouts are planted in warm and humid conditions, where bacteria thrive. For this reason, it’s important to choose bean sprouts that are still fresh. The important thing is to wash and cook it.
5. Wild mushrooms
Mushrooms contain a number of beneficial properties including antioxidants, B vitamins and potassium, according to Healthline. However, some doctors note that the cooking process is needed to get nutrients and benefits. In addition, raw mushrooms are known to be difficult to digest, and are one of the most naturally concentrated sources of toxin, agaritine.